Saturday, April 26, 2008

Coconut Pecan Frosting





For all of us who love “the frosting with germans in it” I am posting this recipe.  Mostly because I had a hard time finding my written copy of it, and I don't want to lose it completely.  Lacy called me most recently for the ingredients, and I hope it turned out well for her.  Here goes:

Coconut Pecan Frosting
1  cup evaporated milk 
1  cup sugar
3  beaten egg yolks
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1 t. vanilla
1 1/3 cup flaked coconut
1 cup chopped pecans
Optional:  1 T. cornstarch (to thicken a little faster)
In a heavy saucepan combine first five ingredients.  Stir constantly over medium heat until mixture bubbles and is thickened.  Add coconut and pecans and remove from heat.  Allow to cool a little before frosting cake.

Variation (I found on the internet):  substitute 1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk (eagle brand) for the evaporated milk and the sugar.

I usually double this recipe when I do a cake.  This insures I have way enough for my 2 cake mix cakes and there always has to be a little left for licking the pan.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just copied and pasted this into a document so that I could print it and save it on my computer! Thanks! It is so very tasty!

kaitlin said...

did you save some for me!?!?!?