Monday, April 20, 2009

Taps


My heart goes out to Aunt Kay and her family as they are dealing with the loss of Eddie. As I listened at the funeral, (as is the case almost always), I wish I had known him better. Since I have known their family, he and Kay and their girls have had a special place in our hearts. We don't get together often, and it seems even less as we have all gotten older. Life is so busy, taking us all such different directions and it seems our own immediate families take up all our time. I somehow think there should be a way to make that different. For some, reading these blogs is the way we stay in touch and up to date with each other. It's nice that we have that option when geographically we are not close. It is even great for those of us who just live a few miles from each other as we strive to deal with the craziness of our lives. Midnight to morning is sometimes the time that works for us to read, and or write the things of our lives. Aunt Kay asked the girls and I to sing at the funeral, and we were honored to do that. We learned a new (to us) song and in doing that spent some time with each other preparing. I loved every minute we were together practicing. I loved that we could as a family do something for Eddie's family. They will miss him. We will too. He was a great husband, dad, uncle, brother, and grandpa. He has a wonderful family that will be forever grateful for his influence and love. There was a contingent of Naval personnel there to pay their last respects to Ed and present Kay with the American flag on behalf of a grateful Nation for his service. It was nice to see that. Their family has suffered great loss this year, but they are not broken. I hope that they know they are in our thoughts and our prayers always. I hope they know they can call us anytime if there is anything we can do for them. The nice thing about family is that even though you don't see them everyday, you know they are there for you when you need them.






To Kay, Terri, Sandy and all your children, we love you. I have learned to treasure the memories. I am trying to write them down so they won't get lost. It is a way of connecting the generations. I hope you will too. There is much to remember.

1 comment:

Jade said...

It was a nice service!! I was sad to have to leave early.