Monday, December 13, 2010

Setting the Mood... Christmas in the House

Even older and slower I still like to make the house reflect the happiness of the holidays. Since the kids were little I have tried to make our home memorable at Christmas. I thought that no matter how much or little we actually did on Christmas Day, the house would be as Christmasy as possible to set a mood that they would remember through the years. For me, getting the house into the spirit was how I got myself into the right spirit to celebrate the birth of Christ. I love the look of the tree, and the garlands with their white lights glinting off the ornaments and glittery ribbons. When the room is done, I can sit and enjoy the peace that the lights bring to it. Even the cupboards in the kitchen are usually wrapped for the season. I love making the holidays special for my family and building traditions they will take with them to their homes. Holidays are special times that bring families together and we are able to spend a little time together in this busy world. Fancy or not, I know that the effort we make to have a special feeling in our home is in our memories. We might not remember all the things we get at Christmas, but we remember the season and feeling we had in our home. I love the trappings of Christmas that allow us to set the ordinary things of life aside for a few weeks and enjoy the beauty of all the extra stuff that is making home special.

It took a little longer than I'm used to, but the house looks like Christmas is coming this year. I can now sit and "watch" the tree and enjoy the peace of the season. I remember doing that with Nana in her home and loving that I do that in mine. I love doing that in my kids homes too.



The tree is done, yay. I love looking at the tree and all the memories that brings. I put the tree together by myself this year (in my "impaired" condition) and it's too bad I didn't have a video camera on. We could have won some serious money with it this year. The tree almost won a couple of times, but I did eventually prevail. Jordyn was my finishing up helper this year and did a great job getting the finishing touches just so. She will be an awesome tree doer someday.



It was nice putting garland on a stairway again this year. We had a stairway at the cabin last year, but I didn't get to enjoy it very much as we were only there on weekends. I love the way the garland looks going up the railing. Jordyn was a big help finishing up here too.



The Nativity scene. I love to get this set up and so enjoy looking at it during the season. I finally got one I really love and missed setting it up last year.



The Christmas dishes are out and ready to go. It's no secret I do love my dishes and so mine and Summer's are both out this year and I am loving it.



The cupboards are festive, but just barely. I was having a particularly hard time with the ribbon this year, so in the middle of it all I promised myself I would cut it off the cabinets at the end of the season and burn it. I probably really won't, but I won't use it again next year. I like my ribbon to be obedient, at this one is not. It looks nice done though.



I found this crazy set of boxes a few years ago at Costco. 12 boxes. 12 Days of Christmas on them. I love them and the song too. Even as annoying as it can be.

I love this season. Everything about it.

1 comment:

Taya said...

Looks lovely!!! Wish I still had toe ompfh to do mine... but I think I've given up! :)