Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Giving Thanks

So much to be thankful for. Where to begin? We have been so very blessed. I was reminded recently of a line from the movie "While you were sleeping"… Ox Calahan is sitting with his son at the breakfast table and he says,

"You work hard, try to provide for the family, and then, for one minute, everything's good. Everyone's well. Everyone's happy. In that one minute, you have peace."

Of course Jack says to him, this is not that moment. But in my case, it is that moment. I know we all still have our trials and troubles, but in the grand scheme of things every one of us is so blessed. The longer I live away from all that is familiar to me, the more thankful I am for the environment I was raised in. The LDS social structure that I take so for granted, and see the benefits from every single day. The family and friends that made/make that possible and the knowledge that I need to thank my Father in Heaven ceaselessly for those blessings. And then there is the gospel which provides the tools for me to know and understand why I am here and where I am going. The day to day struggles and concerns take on a different perspective when viewed in an eternal scope. Not that I am really great at that, but I am hopefully learning how to do that better. I am grateful for my life and my trials and all the things I am learning.

I am grateful for being able to travel home to Mesa to spend some precious time with my family. Thanksgiving was a wonderful day. Grumpy and I were in high gear the week of, so we could get everything done that needed done before the big day. There was a definite push for certain accomplished tasks as Grumpy, Robert, Jeff and R.B. were leaving after dinner Thanksgiving Day to go elk hunting. Again. All the big important stuff got done, and then it was just dinner to plan and get done. I had lots of help with our scrumptious meal this year. I noticed there is no Turkey lore on Nana's cooking blog, so will add what I can to that. I went to Papa's house and raided the linen closet for chargers, napkins, napkin rings and tablecloths. Armed with my booty I planned out my table settings and had a good time with that. I love dishes. Below are our tables for the day.





The table above is the one set with the gold flatware I got from Nana. ALL of the grandkids wanted to sit at the "golden table". Pretty funny. I made a bargain with them that they could sit there if they would be ladies and gentlemen. They did pretty well. Sadly, I forgot (once again) to take pics of our delicious food. We had the usual turkey, sweet potatoes, white potatoes, gravy, green beans, corn, dressing, cranberry sauce, coleslaw, pineapple/cheese jello salad and a gourmet green salad with bacon, strawberries and dried cranberries in it. So good. Our contributors this year were Tawna, Stacie, Jade, me, Grandma H. and Summer. Such good cooks. I hope Stacie will post her green bean recipe on Nana's blog. Ditto for all the other dishes. I had great intentions of making pie when I got home, but all such intentions melted away with the days ahead, and then it was the final straw when I went to the pantry for the can of pumpkin I just knew was there and it was not. Stacie was our resident pie maker this year and WOW, she was amazing.



There was apple, 2 pecan, coconut cream, chocolate, cheese cake, pumpkin, and I can't remember what the other one was. Grandma brought a pecan and a pumpkin to help round out our dessert bar. We feasted like kings. Very full kings.

Good day. Good memories. So very Thankful. I love you all.

No comments: