Saturday, July 25, 2009

The Pioneer Dress

It all started with an offer to Megan that if she wanted a dress for the Pioneer Day Parade in Safford, I would make her one. After some thought, she did want one. I had also suggested that maybe the 8-10 year old girls would like to go back to As You Wish to paint something this summer. I had planned to take them two at a time and made a tentative plan for a Tuesday or Thursday one week for Megan and Rylee. Thursday was better, but alas something came up and we couldn't go. I had Rylee with me, so we went and picked up Megan anyway and went to lunch.



The girls are big fans of Panda Express. After lunch we dropped Rylee off at her dance class and Megan and I were off to JoAnn's Fabric's to pick out fabric for her pioneer day dress. I learned a lot about her likes and not-so-much likes that day. My efforts to explain the kinds of fabrics that would be more authentic were met with a sort of “Oh, Okay.” Pretty lackluster. I finally decided if the pioneers were here with all these choices they would probably pick different fabrics too, so we compromised on a turquoise ensemble. Not exactly the vintage pieces that would be appropriate, but the choices brought a smile to her face, so that's what we did.



I of course procrastinated to the very last minute, but she did have her dress in time to go to Safford with her family to celebrate Pioneer Day. I hope they all have a good time.





Of course the wagon in this picture is not a real pioneer wagon. It looks like the “sheep camp” that my brother Kevin has for his hunting trips. I'm sure from reading that most of the wagons were a bit larger, and I know there were many handcarts used too. I am really grateful for the towns that still recognize and celebrate our founding fathers. Those forebears went through so much not only to realize their dream of a place of peace for themselves but they colonized the west for America. So many of the towns and cities here in Arizona began with a wagon train of determined people to make something for themselves. Hat's off to those cities and towns who have not forgotten and are not “too big” to celebrate our beginnings. I am reminded of an ancestor's comment upon coming into the Gila Valley long ago and far away…“We have been sent to Hell.” You have to remember it was the summertime, and it is hotter than hell here in the summertime. They perserveered (?) and I know I am amazed by their spirit and tenacity. And they had to wear all those clothes! We are indeed fortunate to be unencumbered by petticoats, bloomers, long dresses, boots, and such. Whew!

Blessed, Honored, Pioneer.

2 comments:

Connie said...

Darling girl in her new cute pioneer attire!

Anonymous said...

she is one styling pioneer girl!! the dress turned out so cute! what a great memory for her. I love the new look of my blog!!!!! i really appreciate you taking me into your blog circle and sharing your talent with me. it brought a big smile to my face =) THANKS!!!