I have it and it's incurable. I have managed to keep it at bay for a number of years, but I had a relapse not long ago. Nana loved dishes too, I obviously caught it from her, or it is genetic, not sure which but I am a sucker for beautiful dishes, cute dishes, seasonal dishes and fun dishes. I knew I was in trouble when I started looking at dishes online. I thought I would just see what was out there because I have been wanting a new set for everyday. I couldn't find anything I really liked online, that I could afford anyway. I went to Fry's to do some shopping and thought I would just look at what they had available. Big Mistake! When something is 40% off and pretty cute it all of a sudden becomes the thing you have to have. I came home with 24 dinner plates, 24 salad plates and a vow to find bowls at the neighboring Fry's stores soon. I was unpacking the plates and putting them in the dishwasher and Papa came in. I showed him the new dishes and told him I would be looking for the bowls sometime and would collect some for everyday use. He asked what kind of shape they were, and I told him the wide more flat kind as opposed to the deep, smaller cereal kind. As it turns out he likes the flat, wide kind so that sounded good to him. Next thing I know he is coming home with bowls to match the plates. He was so good to go to various stores to find 12 in all. I am sure it reminded him of the many times he would go to the different stores to find enough of a certain kind for Nana. She was an amazing dish collector. Between us it is quite the dish closet. She had started to go through her dish “linen”closet and was getting rid of some of her less favorite ones, I think so she had more room for new ones. Me too. Moving some of the plates to new people to make room for more current stuff. It has been fun to get new plates and bowls. It's fun to set the table and plan for dinners. Dishes are just the trimming for the time we spend around the table talking and visiting. I love it. I love that I share that wonderful sickness for the accoutrements of the table with Nana. It's just plain fun. I hope some of my kids, nieces and friends are infected too. By the way, the goblet in the place setting above is something I wish I had more of. If anyone knows where to find more, or what kind it is I would love to know. It is pewter and seems like it sold for around $20.00 several years ago. Thats probably why I only have four. I did find them at the Canterbury boutique once, but alas, made the mistake of not getting them. I bought my four from a neighbor that was moving. I don't know who makes them, or where to find them, but I am sure someone does.
Thursday, August 7, 2008
The Dish Disease
I have it and it's incurable. I have managed to keep it at bay for a number of years, but I had a relapse not long ago. Nana loved dishes too, I obviously caught it from her, or it is genetic, not sure which but I am a sucker for beautiful dishes, cute dishes, seasonal dishes and fun dishes. I knew I was in trouble when I started looking at dishes online. I thought I would just see what was out there because I have been wanting a new set for everyday. I couldn't find anything I really liked online, that I could afford anyway. I went to Fry's to do some shopping and thought I would just look at what they had available. Big Mistake! When something is 40% off and pretty cute it all of a sudden becomes the thing you have to have. I came home with 24 dinner plates, 24 salad plates and a vow to find bowls at the neighboring Fry's stores soon. I was unpacking the plates and putting them in the dishwasher and Papa came in. I showed him the new dishes and told him I would be looking for the bowls sometime and would collect some for everyday use. He asked what kind of shape they were, and I told him the wide more flat kind as opposed to the deep, smaller cereal kind. As it turns out he likes the flat, wide kind so that sounded good to him. Next thing I know he is coming home with bowls to match the plates. He was so good to go to various stores to find 12 in all. I am sure it reminded him of the many times he would go to the different stores to find enough of a certain kind for Nana. She was an amazing dish collector. Between us it is quite the dish closet. She had started to go through her dish “linen”closet and was getting rid of some of her less favorite ones, I think so she had more room for new ones. Me too. Moving some of the plates to new people to make room for more current stuff. It has been fun to get new plates and bowls. It's fun to set the table and plan for dinners. Dishes are just the trimming for the time we spend around the table talking and visiting. I love it. I love that I share that wonderful sickness for the accoutrements of the table with Nana. It's just plain fun. I hope some of my kids, nieces and friends are infected too. By the way, the goblet in the place setting above is something I wish I had more of. If anyone knows where to find more, or what kind it is I would love to know. It is pewter and seems like it sold for around $20.00 several years ago. Thats probably why I only have four. I did find them at the Canterbury boutique once, but alas, made the mistake of not getting them. I bought my four from a neighbor that was moving. I don't know who makes them, or where to find them, but I am sure someone does.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment