
It's been awhile since I had to plan a homemaking meeting. OOOOpppps, I mean Home Family Personal Enrichment meeting. It was fun - anytime you can eat, talk and laugh its fun. I used Taya and Kevin's recipe (sort of) for spaghetti and it was really yummy. I even did a few whole wheat noodles mixed in since the lesson was on food storage. Surprise, surprise, surprise - they were really good. I used a recipe from Nana's archives for a peach cobbler and it turned out pretty good. Having never really made cobbler I didn't know quite what to expect, but it was okay. I know what I would do different now. I don't know why I seem to try out a new recipe when I am making stuff for a crowd. I just told the sisters if it wasn't good, I didn't want to know.
We had sign-up sheets for learning a skill next to a sign-up sheet for already knowing the skill. So if you wanted to learn how to say, bottle/can food you signed up to learn. If you know how to bottle/can food you signed that you know and would be willing to teach someone. We had four skills to learn/teach and one sign-up for and a sheet to purchase water barrels for an storing emergency supply of water. The four skills were, How to Bottle/Can food; How to make whole wheat bread; How to coupon; and How to dry pack can. I explained that if you signed that you knew a skill and could teach it, it would be on a one-on-one basis, not as a demo at a future homemaking. For instance, when I get my peaches to bottle this year, I will call a few of the sisters that want to learn to can and they will come and help me. This way they get hands on experience and will really learn to do it. That's the theory anyway. I hope it works.
We had an overview of the Bishops Storehouse policies as they have changed quite a bit over the last year or two. I didn't know they even have a cooking course (free of course) on Monday mornings that teaches how to cook and use the food you have in your storage. I think I might go to that and get a little better educated. Sounds like a chance for some good information and to meet a few new people that like to cook.
It as a fun night - pretty low key, but definitely something we all need to continue doing. I know I couldn't last a year at this point - I'm not even sure about the 3 month goal yet. I better get a move on. I have peaches coming in a week.
2 comments:
Where are you guys getting water barrels? I would love to get some in September/October as soon as I get to making some $$$ again! Sounds like a great night of ideas! I wish I could have been there!
I'm sure everyone had a great time and of course great eats!!!!
Post a Comment